The Marine public house was built in 1806. It was a popular venue with the local garrison. The inside of the premises is full of character.
A public drinking fountain stood in the centre of the road here. It was donated to the area by Mrs Curling as her response to a serious outbreak of Scarlet Fever when many children died. It was a popular meeting point and soon became known as Speakers’ Corner. The fountain can now be found in Sea Houses Square.
Look for a pizza parlour just along from the Marine. This is where Alfonso De Marco arrived from Italy at the age of nine to join his father who ran a cafe here. Eventually he took over the running of the business and expanded rapidly across the South East with a ‘Demarcos’ cafe in many towns. Amazingly, he always lived in the flat above the shop and completed 101 years of residence there before dying at the age of 110!
Standing at the junction with Langney Road and looking along it, you will see a bullnose shaped building. This was originally a high quality bath-house and laundry. However, competition from the new Devonshire Baths in another part of town led to its closure in the 1870s.
Eastbourne’s first water supply was from a spring-fed stream –a bourne - rising in what is now called Old Town. Originally it flowed to this point where it ponded (Widebourne) before seeping through the shingle bank and into the sea.
Trail: East of the Pier Heritage Trail
Tourist Information Centre
The Marine Pub, 61 Seaside, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN22 7NE