On your marks, get set... BAKE!
Buttery shortbread biscuits are a big favourite in the biscuit business, super easy to bake and a great recipe for the little ones to get involved in too. From iced delights to traditional shortbread fingers you can have lots of fun making your very own personalised biscuit batch to share with all the family.
For this week’s scrummy recipe we’ve teamed up with top chef Richard from the Devonshire Park Catering to give you top tips on how to make the perfect bake. Time to put your aprons on and get your mixing bowls at the ready!
The all-important ingredients (bakes 15):
150g Plain Flour
100g unsalted Butter
50g Caster Sugar
How to make your biscuits the BEST!
1. Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C
2. Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl
3. Mix together with a wooden spoon or mixing paddle until you have a big bowl of breadcrumbs
4. Time to roll your sleeves up! Using your hands knead the mixture together to create a dough
5. Sprinkle some plain flour onto a clean surface and roll out your doughy mixture until about 1cm thick
6. Cut into festive shapes using a knife or biscuit cutter, re-rolling the spare bits of dough to make more shapes
7. Decorate each shape with a single chocolate chip
8. Lightly grease your baking trays with a thin layer of butter, place your biscuit shapes onto the baking tray and put into the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown at the edges
9. Gently dust with some caster sugar before leaving to cool
10. Make yourself a lovely cup of tea and enjoy!
If you’re feeling extra creative, why not make up some icing and decorate each festive shape with sprinkles, glitter and all things sweet!
All you need to do is sift 125g of pure cane icing sugar with 15ml of warm water until you have a smooth thick paste – enough to cover the back of spoon. Once your biscuits have cooled, gently spread an even layer of icing across the top of the biscuit ready to decorate.
From pink sprinkles to mini marshmallows and chocolate flakes you can have loads of fun making your shortbread biscuits fit for a King!
Before gobbling them all up, make sure you take a photo and share with us on Facebook @visiteastbourne!