Shortlist symbol Add to shortlist button.

Have Your Say on the People’s Charity at Airbourne 2018

6 March 2018

Airbourne organisers are calling on the public to have their say on which one of three charities should be picked as the ‘People’s Charity’ at this year’s Airbourne: Eastbourne International Airshow.

RAF Red Arrows - SAC Rose Buchanan, MoD/Crown Copyright 2017


Chalk Farm Learning Disabilities Centre, Chestnut Tree House children’s hospice and Families for Autism all reached the final three shortlist, after an overwhelming response from the general public saw hundreds of nominations, resulting in 28 applications from local charities.

Such is the difficult task ahead in identifying just one charity, that organisers Eastbourne Borough Council, are asking Airbourne fans to vote for their favourite over the next two weeks.

The ‘People’s Charity’ will join two other Rotary Club chosen charities in receiving a share of 30% of all Airbourne donations in 2018.

Donations Keep Airbourne Flying High

The annual Airbourne bucket collection, organised by Steve Newman and Mike Baslow of Sovereign Harbour Rotary Club, and the Rotary Clubs of Hailsham, is a mammoth project each year with over 200 buckets out and about across the town during the fours days of the airshow.

The bucket collection has become integral in securing both the future of the airshow and keeping entry free, with 70% of donations helping to fund the flying displays. The remaining 30% of donations are split between three local charities, all of whom support the show with volunteer collectors.

Past donations have funded key headline displays such as the Vulcan, F-16 and B-17 ‘Sally B’, whilst also raising over £60,000 for good causes to date.

Eastbourne Borough Council Lead Cabinet Member for Tourism and Enterprise, Cllr Margaret Bannister said “The success of the bucket collection is paramount in maintaining a lively flying programme and also keeping Airbourne free.

These shortlisted charities have all demonstrated how they can help support Airbourne in this endeavour, whilst also raising their own much needed funds and increasing their profile to an audience of thousands. This is a fabulous opportunity for both Airbourne and the winning charity to work together for the benefit of our local community!”

Last year’s collection raised a total of £33,665.23 towards flying costs and the three local good causes of Age Concern Eastbourne, Memory Lane and the Charles Hunt Centre, all of whom supported the show with volunteer collectors.

To Vote

To vote for your preferred charity visit to vote online or complete a voting slip at Eastbourne Tourist Information Centre, Cornfield Road, Eastbourne BN21 4QA. Voting closes 11.59pm on Thursday 22 March.

Support Airbourne

People can donate towards Airbourne 2018 already, with online donations open at

Airbourne returns from 16 - 19 August 2018, for more information, or to volunteer as a bucket collector, or to book private dining, exclusive seating or to donate online at any time, visit

Offers, Newsletters & Brochures

Share This Page